There are seven recognized or licensed specialties in dentistry (outside of a dental school setting- e.g. oral pathology, oral radiology, etc). These are:
- General dentistry (primary care)
- Pedodontics (children’s dentistry)
- Orthodontics (tooth straightening)
- Oral surgery (extractions, fracture care, implant placement)
- Periodontics (gum therapy, implant placement)
- Endodontics (root canals)
- PROSTHODONTICS (oral rehabilitation based on natural teeth and implants with crowns, veneers, partial dentures, and complete dentures)
General dentists diagnose and treat a greater variety of dental diseases and problems on a daily basis than the other specialists. Most general dentists offer care in some of the other six specialties on a regular basis, while referring more involved cases. As a Prosthodontist, I have had the opportunity and the privilege to focus my training and experience on a smaller group of patients with more involved dental problems. General dentists, other dental specialists, physicians, and other health providers, all refer to our office for more focused patient care. Patient self referrals and second opinions are always welcome.
As a Prosthodontist, I will listen to your dental concerns, diagnose your dental problems, and propose a written treatment plan that will coordinate any needed care with your general dentist and other dental specialists as needed. Our diagnostic methods include oral examination, dental/medical history, x-ray survey, study models of your mouth, intra-oral photographs to enlarge and illustrate, and specific information from other specialists. We also have access to CAT scan and computer guided implant planning for the surgical placement of implants when needed. Our goal is to treat you as we would treat a family member, using the best diagnosis and recommending the best treatment.
Please browse the other pages of our website or call our office (1-616-954-2288) if you have any other questions.
- Click Here for more information about my background and credentials.
- Click Here for Financial Information.
We always welcome new patients by self referral or professional referral.
Dr. Stephen T. Doezema DDS, MS
847 Parchment SE Suite #130
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546